Thursday, May 04, 2006

To knit or spin, that is the question...

I have been on the spinning bandwagon lately. Currently, I'm working with some gorgeous but long and slippery red wool roving on my ivy spindle. It's slow going, but I'm having fun. I learned a new technique at the Spinning Guild meeting I attended last week where I pull a thick piece of roving about 6-8 inches long off and fold it over my finger and draft from the point of my finger. It works OOODLES better with this long slippery fiber - yay!

I'm also spinning some GORGEOUS silk hankies on my cd spindle. Oh my gosh, the fiber is stunning in it's beauty once it's spun. I never would have guessed from the blotchy hankies that such beauty would come :) I have to get some pictures of what I have thus far so you can see it as well! It's a bit of a hassle spinning it, though, because it SUCKS the moisture from my hands and I have to really lotion up my hands to start with or the silk starts sticking to my hands as I spin. But it's worth it for the beauty of it all :)

A few days ago, I bought 1 lb of mill end top *bouncy* I'm so excited to get it and see what colors/types of fiber I get...it will be like christmas! I also ordered some possum/wool fiber yesterday (just a few ounces to mix with some of the mill ends - dayum that stuff is expensive!) to make Possum slippers for my sweetie. It's an inside joke :P

Today, I found a used greesleeves spindle that I purchased and I am SUPER excited about this. I have heard over and over again that Greensleeves are really great spindles and well, it's gorgeous and I am saving about 10% off a new one by buying used. Yay for me :)

Can you tell I'm in love with my spinning?

Well, I started to feel badly about my poor looms just sitting there, projects abandoned and lifeless, lol. So, I started making a lovely lacy medium grey shrug last night. I think it's going to be all one color, but varying textures to bring some interest to it. It's also going to be quite loose and baggy and scrumptious, if I do say so myself ;)

*sigh* Never enough time in the day to do everything I want to, craft-wise. Poor me!

Why won't my work pay me to knit and spin? I just don't understand it :P

No comments:

Post a Comment