Saturday, July 12, 2008

culinarily creative

I know, I've been a bad blogger and SP 12 participant. It's just that I usually blog at work and the last week and a half has been RIDICULOUS! I was working till 8PM many nights, planning for a big company functioning I was throwing. And now it's over! yay! I am knitting away on my circular jacket, it just rocks :)



But I don't have much else to share that's crafty, except....

cooking!

I decided to get brave and make the boy some gluten free/casien free mac n cheese for lunch today. It used to be his favorite food and I know he's been missing it a lot since we started him on the GF/CF diet several weeks ago.

So, I started by cooking some brown rice pasta (Trader Joe's). Then, I melted some casien-free butter type stuff (Earth Balance) in a pan, added some gluten free multi-purpose flour (From Bob's Red Mill) and made a roux. I cooked it for a bit, then added a bunch of soy milk. Cooked it for awhile more, till boiling and slightly thick, then added pepper and a wad of casien-free grated cheddar cheese type product (Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet). I whisked vigorously while the cheese-type stuff melted (takes a little longer than real cheese, but it DOES melt) and it lightly boiled and thickened. Then, I poured some over the pasta and set it in front of the boy.

Two bites got a "MmmmMmmMM!" and a thumbs up. When asked if he liked it, he smiled, gave me nod and rubbed his belly. He ate the whole bowl :)I'm just thrilled :)

Now, I had a LOT of sauce left over, so I poured it into a container and put it in the fridge. I think it will solidify a la velveeta and I can cut some off, re-melt in a pan and have cheese sauce whenever he wants mac n cheese or cheese sauce on brocolli, etc :)

I'm just SOOOOO happy this worked really well and he loved it :) Yay for me!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:20 AM

    I'm so glad it worked out for you. My daughter is a big fan of rice balls made from white or brown sushi rice and then we add a mix of dried seaweed and sesame seeds with just a bit of salt and sugar. She loves it! If you think you'd like to try it, I can send more details.

    Sorry work has been so tiresome lately. Hope this week is better.

    ~Secret Pal

    ReplyDelete