Thursday, October 23, 2008

Usually never

I'm usually never preachy on this blog. I'm usually never political. I usually never talk in depth about the fact that I'm a big ol' dyke. But elections are coming up soon and I feel like I NEED to take a moment to urge everyone in California to vote NO on 8.

If 8 passes, people like me will have our recently won right to marry the person we love taken away from us. That's all it is. Two folks who LOVE each other wanting to have the same basic rights as everyone else. Being queer isn't going to be taught in school. Being allowed to marry isn't going to end the world. We've been doing it for several months now here in California and life is just going on the same as usual for everyone else.

If 8 passes, regular everyday people like me, a single mom with a 6 year old son, won't have some of the same basic rights everyone else has. That's what it boils down to. Regular, everyday folks just living life, going to work, picking up the kid at the babysitter, making dinner, reading bedtime stories won't have the ability to legally marry the one person in the world that they love and want to spend the rest of their life with.

We are not second-class citizens. We have had our rights taken away from us long enough. It's time to take one step closer to the vision of the Declaration of Independance and recognize that all men (and women :P) are created equal and deserve the same rights. Please, if you are in California, vote NO on 8 in November.

Thank you :)

1 comment:

  1. I wish I still lived in California so I could vote no on 8. I'll be crossin' my fingers on Nov. 4th.

    ReplyDelete